Gary's practice extends across the following areas in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals:
- advise towards strategic IP development in start-up companies and SME's;
- drafting patent applications;
- prosecution of patent applications;
- opinion work, including freedom to operate opinions, opinions for regulatory approval of pharmaceuticals as well as general due diligence opinion; and
- contentious matters including oppositions and court actions (infringement and revocation actions) in Australia and New Zealand.
Some leading cases that Gary has acted in are:
(1) Genetics Institute Inc v Kirin-Amgen Inc (1996) 34 IPR 513 (Acted for Kirin Amgen);
(2) Pfizer Overseas Pharmaceuticals v Eli Lilly and Co (2005) 225 ALR 416 (Acted for Eli Lilly and Co);
(3) Genentech, Inc v Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research and Human Genome Sciences, Inc  APO 20 (5 June 2006) (Acted for Human Genome Sciences Inc); and
(4) Danisco A/S v Novozymes A/S (No 2)  FCA 282 (29 March 2011) (Acted for Danisco A/S).