How the Casino Industry is Changing as a Business in the Modern World
When we introduce the concept of the casino, most people still envision the traditional brick and mortar establishment in which players go to test the odds and hope Lady Luck is on their side with games such as Poker, Roulette, or a pull with the one-armed bandit. These casinos are still alive and generally doing well (arguably), and their charm will never disappear, but the gambling industry is seriously changing today.
Online gambling has grown year by year, and the trend continues, seemingly without an end in sight. The casino industry is no longer the smoky and martini-filled environment it used to be; technology has changed all that. But how? Here’s how the casino industry is changing as a business in the modern world.
How the Internet changed things
Gambling has existed since forever – the Romans loved their dice and early forms of games of chance have been recorded long before that. However, games of chance are no longer done in a brick and mortar location; nowadays, most anyone with an Internet connection can participate. To understand this - it pays to take a look at how it all developed.
A little history
Just to give you an idea of how things have evolved over time:
- 1790– Harry Ogden goes down in history as the greatest bookmaker; he actually made a lot of profit.
- 1961– betting shops were legalised; the information needed came through the wire
- 1986– technology first came into the game with the advent of “fruit machines” and computer -generated random numbers
- 1998– bookmakers realised the potential of the Internet and betting exchanges began their first online Bingo and Poker sites.
- 2015– The industry online has seriously grown and at the end of the year revenue was estimated at about $41 billion worldwide.
Gaming sites want to make it as convenient as possible for the gamer – the trend is gaming on the go, and this trend is set to grow. Mobile sites are growing exponentially by the day. One prime example is Luckystreet.com, with its casino games (luckystreet.com/casinos) which virtually anyone can play.
Yes – pick your game, pick your theme, pick your odds, and pick your budget. Gaming sites cater to any and every potential player worldwide. Make a search and you’ll find a lot of different games presented in new and exciting ways.
It’s not just about gambling, or about trying your luck at a game of chance – it’s all about entertainment, and about making the customer feel like they are getting value for money even if that person happens to be on a losing streak. It’s about bringing people together for one purpose: to have fun, and to bring the world together, even just for a little while, with a game of chance.