Dr. Ganie specializes in commercial transactions and commercial litigation, including alternative dispute resolution and has acted as an expert in a number court and arbitration proceedings.
His expertise covers general corporate/company law, mining law, investment law, acquisitions, infrastructure projects/project finance, antitrust law, and shipping/aviation law.
A particular focus of Dr. Ganie’s practice is corporate governance and compliance. This includes legal compliance audits and legal ratings, which is a unique product of the firm.
Dr. Ganie is the Managing Partner of Lubis, Ganie & Surowidjojo. Under his management the firm has become Indonesia’s largest law firm, and has obtained its ISO certifications for (1) quality management, (2) legal services and (3) environmental quality management system (all issued by UK based Lloyd's Register Quality Assurance) which has made LGS the only Indonesian law firm that has acquired and maintains such international quality standard certifications.
Dr. Ganie is an Independent Commissioner of P.T. Global Mediacom Tbk, the owner of Indonesia’s largest media company (television, radio, online news and printed media).
Dr. Ganie was raised in the Netherlands, Germany and Indonesia. He graduated from the Faculty of Law of the University of Indonesia and holds a PhD in Law from the University of Hamburg. Dr. Ganie has completed further studies at the Institute for Advanced Legal Studies in London; the Max Planck Institute for International Private Law in Hamburg, Germany; and in political studies at the Staatswissenschaftliche Fakultaet of the University of Zurich.
· Chairman of the Association of Indonesian Anti-Trust Lawyers (Perkumpulan Konsultan Hukum Persaingan Usaha)
· Member of the Regional Panel of Arbitrators of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (“SIAC”)
· Chairman of the Indonesian Sports Arbitration Body (Badan Arbitrase Keolahragaan Indonesia)
· Fellow (FSIarb) of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators.
· Member of the Indonesian Bar Association (PERADI), the Asia Pacific Bar Association and the Indonesian Association of Capital Market Lawyers.
Academic and Related Activities
· Senior lecturer at the Faculty of Law of the University of Indonesia where he lectures on Legal Research, Legal Writing, Legal Reasoning and Legal Due Diligence and is also a lecturer at a number of other universities and academic institutions in Indonesia.
· Lecturer for the Bar Admission of the Indonesian Bar Association (PERADI)
· Frequent speaker at international conferences and seminars covering a wide range of Indonesian legal issues.
· General: Chambers Global’s “The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business” (2006) notes: “Dr. Ganie is widely regarded as “one of the most brilliant legal minds in the country” for his “unbeatable knowledge and networks” and singles him out as a “versatile figure perfectly suited to handling the most challenging transactions.”
· Project Finance: The Legal Media Group Guides to the World’s Leading Lawyers lists Dr. Ganie as Emerging Markets Practioner in the field of Project Finance. Chambers Global’s “The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business” (2008) notes “Dr. Mohamed Idwan Ganie heads the firm's project finance team and is the primary contact”. The Guide to Asia Pacific’s Leading Law Firm’s notes in the project finance space, the firms standout professionals include Mohamed Idwan Ganie”.
· Shipping Law: Chambers 2006/7 Guide notes that Dr. Ganie “is one of the best-known shipping lawyers in Indonesia, with a solid non-contentious ship financing practice”. The Asia Pacific Legal 500 in its Guide to Asia’s Commercial Law Firms (2006/2007) states that Dr. Ganie “is a highly respected shipping lawyer”.
· Antitrust Law: The Asia Pacific Legal 500 Guide to Asia’s Commercial Law Firms notes: “Name partner Dr Mohamed Idwan Ganie is respected for competition advice”. Chambers UK states that Dr. Ganie “is an acclaimed antitrust expert.”
· Mergers & Acquition: The IFLR 1000 Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms ranks Dr. Ganie as a Leading Lawyer in the field of Mergers and Acquisitions.
· Aviation Law: The Guide to Asia Pacific’s Leading Law Firm’s notes “Lubis Ganie Surowidjojo keeps its tier one stance for handling a considerable volume of aviation work. Names to note for this field of work include Mohamed Idwan Ganie”.
· Coal Mining: The Legal 500 says: “Lubis Ganie Surowidjojo’s experience covers coal and mineral mining, toll roads and other infrastructure projects. Mohamed Idwan (Kiki) Ganie is the name to note in this area”.
· Dispute Resolution: Most recently ‘Lawyer Monthly Magazine’ has named Dr. Ganie one of the world’s 100 leading lawyers in the practice area of dispute resolution, acknowledging those legal experts in the world’s legal community who have surpassed themselves by performing above and beyond what is expected from them.